Saturday, March 27, 2010

Lavender Dreams

I must be learning at least one or two new things as I continue to garden over the years, because I finally got my lavender to sprout from seed - I have two healthy looking youngsters!


I can't say that I know what exactly the trick is, but I do know that you can't have the soil too wet. It's better to have it on the dry side and to just mist every day with a spray bottle. I also think I was sowing the seeds too deep last year - surface sowing seems to be the best. Soil temperature also seems to play a part; the warmer the better.

One lonely catnip has also sprouted this week! The cats are going to have to ration their stash this year if there is only one plant...


As for the rest of the indoor garden, things are starting to explode. The tomatoes and herbs are ahead of schedule, and the eggplants and peppers are not far behind.

Look at the beautiful variegated leaves of the Purple Jalapeno:


The basil is looking fat and licoricey:


The bee balm is a lush jade green:


And in other news I have my first sprouts in the new outdoor raised beds! Both the arugula and some of the European Mesclun Mix have braved the cold weather the past few days and are poking through the earth.

Arugula:


European Mesclun Mix (maybe this is some frisee?):


When I planted this specific mix, the assortment of seeds looked like the toppings on an everything bagel - all sorts of sizes, shapes, and colors. Here's how Baker Creek describes this mix: "Flavors range from sweet-mild to sour-hot-tangy, and colors come in red, purple, yellow, and green. Colorful lettuce, radicchio, arugula, endive, orach, mizuna, kale, mustard, corn salad and more."

It's kind of a restful time right now - I just sit back, let things grow, and wait for the weather to get warm enough for more planting.

No comments: