Sunday, November 21, 2010

Still A Classic

Tonight I had a hankering for an old classic, something that everyone knows and loves - grilled cheese and tomato soup.


As recently as a year or so ago, you could have caught me swearing that one processed food that I would never give up is Campbell's tomato soup. As healthy, natural, and organic as our diets are right now, I was willing to make this one sacrifice.

Well, I've been working on a project for my Mom's side of the family - I'm assembling a family cookbook to record all of the nostalgic and tasty recipes from this "foodie" side of the family, with grandma as the cornerstone. In doing this, I've received plenty of amazing recipes from family members across the country. You know that aunt or uncle who lives more than just a few hours away? You might see them once every five years or so? Well, a couple weeks ago that particular aunt sent me her recipe for "Tomato Bisque". This sparked the inspiration to break free from my Campbell's rut.

Apart from a lot of tomatoes, including my canned juice and whole tomatoes, I also used onion, carrot, celery, garlic, mushrooms, oregano, basil, thyme, and some cream - hey, noone said this was a low fat food. Everything simmered away for an hour or so and then hit the food processor until nice and creamy.

To go along with the soup, I made grilled cheese using "Bad Boy" bread from Blue Oven Bakery, mild cheddar cheese from Gibb's, and handmade pesto from Madison's.

Our bellies are SO happy right now...

1 comment:

Elizabeth Eaton said...

Wow, that looks so yummy! I, too, have a weakness for Campbell's tomato soup and grilled cheese, and have tried, unsuccessfully to make my own healthy version to can. I always have trouble with the milk curdling because of the tomato acid. One recipe I used called for baking soda to prevent the curdling, but then the soup had a bitter taste. Yours sounds amazing! I would love to get the recipe from you sometime.