Saturday, July 30, 2011

Remembrance

I can still hear my grandpa singing in the berry patch...

It's coming up on four years since he passed away, and I still miss him every single day. While I was picking blueberries at Rouster's this morning I heard a woman several rows over singing, accompanied by the whirring of cicadas and clucks of hungry robins. It struck me that it's something you don't hear much anymore - someone singing in public, not caring who hears them, just expressing their contentment through song. I was immediately brought back to childhood days spent at my grandparent's farm, helping Grandpa in the strawberry patch, hearing him tremulous tenor echoing out over the fields.

Even though it's been steamy hot lately, the morning was quite pleasant, the dewy berry bushes kept me cool while I reached under and over branches to pluck handfuls of jammy blueberries. I ended up walking away with several pounds for around $10...you can't beat that.


When I got home I immediately got to work washing and packaging up my haul, preparing them for the new (wait for it) chest freezer that my parents gifted us! Yes, we are now the proud owners of a Kenmore 13 cubic feet chest freezer, and she is a thing of beauty.

We now have room to put up as much fruit, vegetables, pesto, dinners, bread, and anything else we want. Once the freezer got cool enough, I transferred my already-frozen tart cherries, black raspberries, and rhubarb, and then added the freshly picked blueberries. Only a very small dent was made in the space, so I'm confident that we're not going to be lacking for freezer room anytime soon.


Thanks Mom and Dad!

No comments: