Friday, May 30, 2008

Cucumbers

The last piece of my garden that I'm waiting on are the cucumbers. I've planted several pickling cuc seeds in a pot and have been anxiously keeping watch - I'm hoping it's warm enough for them. My thoughts were that for a container balcony garden the little pickles might have a higher chance of success than the bigger traditional cucs. I'd hate for our neighbors to get clocked in the head with a giant falling cuc one day...

One of my favorite ways to eat cucumbers is in an old-fashioned cucumber salad. My mom and grandma always made this old-timey dish. It's simple:
  • Slice a cuc or two into a bowl
  • French an onion into a bunch of crescents
  • Whisk mayonnaise, cider vinegar, and sugar into a dressing
  • Don't forget to crack some black pepper on top!
If you're like my dad, you'll just grab a salt shaker and a few slices and go to town. He's the biggest snacker I know.

I plan on training it to climb on something - maybe a tomato cage or even the balcony railing. The first step is to get some sprout action, then I'm going to have to be vigilant and make sure the birds don't get a hold of them.
For now, I'm playing the waiting game...


UPDATE! I checked the soil this morning and lo-and-behold we have some peepers! Exciting to know that everything is now sprouted and we're on our way to a summer garden!


No comments: