Thursday, May 29, 2008

Welcome

Hello and welcome.

This blog has been created to address two facets of my life: the first, a struggle, and the second, a passion. Both subjects stem from my blood - both subjects are as genetic as they are learned.

My struggle comes in the form of anxiety. I have been learning to live with generalized anxiety disorder for the past nine months of my life. It can easily be said that this has been the most gut-wrenching and terrifying period in my 25 years of life. Anxiety touches many of my relatives, so I should have known it would catch up to me eventually. My intention is to let this blog be both a chronicle and a tool as I continue to learn how to walk side-by-side with this condition, instead of succumbing to it.

My passion for gardening has stemmed from my struggles with stress and anxiety, as well as my upbringing. Farmer's blood runs in my family's veins almost as rampantly as anxiety. As a child I have the fondest memories of running barefoot through the fields at my grandparent's house. Now in my mid-20s, I am starting to feel a "pull", a pre-mid-life crisis, if you will. My biological clock is ticking, and it's telling me to roll up my sleeves, run my hands through some soil, and start planting.

It's been since college that I've attempted to maintain a blog. My aim this time around is to not end up sounding like such a pathetic, gothic, snobby mess. I primarily plan to document the growth of my small urban garden, while peppering-in any illuminations that I may have concerning my life.

I'm working on this whole "growing" thing - both personally and botanically. We'll see how things go...

No comments: