Saturday, April 11, 2009

So Much to Report...

Almost exclusively good news to report on the sprouting campaign. The little babies have been growing nicely the past week or so - some more than others.

My prediction for the zucchini and squash seedlings came to fruition - last weekend I had to perform an emergency transplant.


Both groups of seedlings were growing so fast and becoming so leafy that they were crowding the others in the nursery. I moved both sets into what I intend to be their summer-long containers. They are still in the basement but have been moved to a different window that gets good sunlight the second half of the day. It's been a week and they don't seem to be taking it too tough - I'm afraid there won't be enough light for them. Hopefully they'll be able to limp by until it's warm enough to set them outside. If not, I may be forced to start them all over again. Other updates:
  • Marigold: bushy and ready to be spread out, will have to wait a little bit longer for the weather to warm up
  • Dill: feathery and aromatic, I snipped a few sprigs this morning for a sandwich
  • Fish Pepper: most seeds are up, some are starting to develop their first true leaves
  • Red Marconi Pepper: finally sprouted this week, I have two seedlings so far
  • Lavender: haven't had much luck with this, re-sowed this week but not as deep
  • Eggplant: most seeds are up, they seem to be slow growers
  • Melon: one seed is up, he's holding his own but growing slowly, I sowed some additional seeds just in case
  • Thyme: beautiful fuzzy leaves, smell so lemony and earthy
  • Oregano: few seedlings are up, again I think I planted them too deep, re-sowed on the surface
  • Catnip: several seedlings up, seem to be growing pretty quickly
  • Beets: thinned them out this week, getting their true leaves
  • Kohlrabi: thinned these out as well, looking like happy plants
  • Radish: thinned them out, getting their prickly true leaves
  • Carrot: slower to sprout than others, but coming along
  • Lettuce: need to re-sow, I think all this rain has cause several seedlings to dampen off
  • Arugula: an abundance!

I know that earlier I said I was just going to buy tomato plants from a nursery, but this week I got bit by the bug again and ordered some tomato seeds. I have a bit of confidence after my first round of success, and I'm eager to see if I can keep up the good record with my favorite vegetable of all. I ordered:

From
Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds:
  • Tomato, Brandywine
  • Tomato, Black Krim
  • Tomato, Green Zebra (one of my favs)
  • Basil, Fine Verde
  • Basil, Thai Holy Kaprao
From Victory Seeds:
  • Tomato, Black Cherry
  • Tomato, Gold Nugget
You can never have enough seeds, right? I'm sure some will like Cincinnati weather better than others, but I'm shooting for a variety. When I placed my first seed order this year they were out of basil, so I'm stocking up now. I'd be tickled if I could grow some Thai Holy Basil - just thinking about a dish of basily, garlicky Pad Gra Pow Tofu is making my taste buds sweat - YUM!

No comments: