Sunday, June 21, 2009

Carrots

This morning I felt it was time - time to pull my first carrots.

I have been secretly poking at my carrots for the past few weeks, checking for done-ness, if you will. I pulled 3-4 each of both varieties that were planted this spring: Cosmic Purple and St. Valery. For some reason I didn't really think I'd ever be able to grow PURPLE carrots, like there must be some sort of secret trick to it, but lo-and-behold...



The St. Valery was orange and had more of that classic carrot taste. The Cosmic Purple was a berry-stained maroon and sweeter and more mild. Both very good, very crunchy. The carrots seemed to have more root and less foliage than last year - I guess that's why I'm pulling them earlier. I'm so proud!

In other news, my eggplant has sent out its first bloom of the season - Yeah!

No comments: