Thursday, May 27, 2010

Beets!

I pulled the largest of the beets in the garden today - both Golden and Cylindra varieties. They were gorgeous!


I also noticed that the zucchini and butternut squash have sprouted in their hills. The indoor starts of yellow crookneck squash, melon, and cucumber are also well on their way - once I've finished pulling all of the beets and carrots then I will be able to transplant them outdoors.


My Kentucky Colonel Mint has gotten unruly this week with the hot sunny weather. I took a page from my mom's book and made a pitcher of mint lemonade with some fresh sprigs of mint. So refreshing after a couple of sweaty hours outside...


I then proceeded to process and freeze the remaining rhubarb from last weekend. I'll pull these puppies out of the freezer when I make strawberry rhubarb jam in a few weeks.


Rounding out the day, I picked a quart of mulberries from our tree in the backyard. Crazy I never even knew it was there until a week or so ago...


It's been one of those days where you're reminded of why you fell in love with nature way-back-when.

1 comment:

yul meade said...

you are amazing to me and a true inspiration!

misplaced my camera, the kids/plants are really happy in their clay pots i procured from the local goodwill...

y