Sunday, May 2, 2010

Tickled Green

I couldn't be happier with how the garden is looking right now - and it's only May 2nd!

This spring has been one of the nicest, warmest, plant-friendly springs that I can remember in a while. We have had just enough rain, lots of beautiful sunny days, and very few frosty-cold nights.

I managed to hold out until yesterday to put my tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, and basil into the ground. Trust me, they were screaming to be planted. The soil in those little yogurt cups I had them in had been sapped of nutrients, and the plants were on their way to getting a little root-bound.


My husband and I got home late last night and I knew that we were forecasted to get rain all day today, so my only option for planting was 8:30pm last night. It doesn't take long to plant when you've only got nine or ten plants to get in the ground. The soil was so rich and black - funny how only farmers and gardeners can get excited about rich soil. Every other shovelfull of dirt revealed a fat wriggly worm. They must be having a field day with that nice dirt. I dressed the soil with Gardener's Supply tomato/pepper/eggplant fertilizer and mounded up the soil around each little plant.



So to recap, I planted one-each of the following:
  • Tomato - Sungold Select II, Mule Team, Carbon, Aunt Ruby's German Green, Riesentraube
  • Pepper - Purple Jalapeno, Jimmy Nardello
  • Eggplant - Black Beauty
I couldn't believe it, but the Aunt Ruby's German Green already has a HUGE bloom - you can see it at the top of the plant. Maybe I'll be able to grow my first "large" tomato variety this year?


I also sowed my second round of arugula and mesclun mix, as well as transplanted my Sweet Genovese Basil as well as the two Catnip seedlings that sprouted. The Catnip went in a separate pot just in case the neighborhood felines try to maul it like last year. I wouldn't want them mauling the rest of my herbs in the process.

Here is my herb bed with the newly-planted basil, along with the thyme, oregano, and dill. I have two spots left, one for rosemary, which I'll have to buy, and one for lavender, which needs a little more time indoors to get nice and hearty before I transplant him.

I need to figure out what I'm going to do with supports; I know that these plants are going to be happy enough to grow big and tall and will need some type of support. I don't think I'll have room to put all eight plants into tomato cages. Food for thought the next week or so.

In other news, my latest round of indoor seedlings have been coming along nicely as well. All six types of plants are up, and the nasturtiums are pretty much ready to be transplanted outside already - that was quick, guys! From left to right: Empress of India Nasturtium, Rainbow Mix Coleus, Parker's Variety Yarrow, Apricot Beauty Foxglove, Victoria Rhubarb, and Mary Washington Asparagus.


The next round of indoor planting will involve squash, zucchini, cucumber, and melon. I'm going to wait a few weeks to give my greens, radish, beets, and carrots some time to finish up. Since I'm using the same bed for my "early" veggies and my "summer" veggies, I'll have to be careful about my timing.

Lastly, we received an email this week from Eaton Farm that our first CSA pick-up will be next weekend - May 9th! I'll make a quick stop at Hyde Park Farmer's Market to pick up up before heading to grandma's house for a nice Mother's Day celebration. Good things are on the horizon!

No comments: