Monday, March 28, 2011

A Delicious Nightmare

I used to work for Subway - you know, the sandwich chain. I worked there for way too many years in my teens and early-20s while supporting myself in college. I can't tell you how many subs I slapped together in all those years - and the thought of baking just one more tray of footlong buns? I still have nightmares about it...seriously.

So it was with mixed emotions that I took my first stab at baking hoagie buns yesterday. I was making BBQ pulled "chicken" sandwiches with coleslaw and it just didn't feel right putting that on regular old sandwich bread. I found a pretty decent hoagie recipe online and decided to give it a whirl.

The difference between the aforementioned crap-filled artificially-flavored frozen franchise bread and the pure simple ingredients of yesterday's hoagies was immediately evident.

Maybe now I can put the memories of all those countless stinky food service hours to bed?

1 comment:

Snaggs said...

aaahhhh Subway! The fabulous pain brun!