Saturday, March 28, 2009

10 Out of 12 and Almost There!

I'm beginning to feel like a victim of my own success. My original plan was to plant all my seeds, expecting most of them to not sprout or not make it. Well, I should have been a little more optimistic, because now I'm afraid that my zucchini, squash, and perhaps melon will require transplanting way before it's warm enough outside. Especially the zucchini and squash - they are officially out of bounds. At a certain point they're going to start blocking the other seedlings from getting light.


I'm going to have to think this one through. Maybe I can transplant them into their own separate pots early and keep them inside under the lights until it's warm enough outdoors.

In other news, I have five (count 'em!) new sprouts to report:

Beets (it barely looks real with that beautiful purple aura)...

...Fish Pepper (finally, a pepper breaks the ground!)...

...Catnip (looking suspiciously similar to thyme and oregano)...


...and Carrot and Melon (pictures to come later).

I honestly can't believe how much success I've had with this - I need to have more faith in myself and in mother nature. The next step is making sure all of the sprouties make it outdoors alright. I've decided to wait until this fall to start building the raised bed. There's no use rushing it and stressing out - I can take another season of containers. In fact, I'm headed out today to snap up some cheap plastic pots. Here's to spring!

No comments: