Wednesday, March 18, 2009

!SPROUTS!

The past few days have been very exciting - the first sprouts of the year have poked through! My outdoor plantings were the first to make a showing.

Radish

Kohlrabi

Lettuce

Then, this morning after I got up to get ready for work, I crept bleary-eyed down to the basement to check on my nursery. Now, I'm not sure if this is cheating, but there was a crack in the dirt on one side of a cube and a thyme seedling was weaseling its way through the space (he's at the bottom of the picture). This counts, right?


When I got home from work today I noticed a marigold sprout squeezing through as well:


It amazing to me how year after year I have grown plants of all sizes, shapes, and types, but every spring when you see a shriveled brown seed transform itself into a green, succulent, living organism, it seems like the most fantastic miracle on earth.

No comments: