Sunday, March 15, 2009

Spring Sowing

It finally arrived - my grow light stand and lamp got here in one piece on Friday!

Yesterday my husband assembled everything, and without delay I promptly dived into my first seed sprouting experience. Here is what my set-up looks like:


Now, I know what you're thinking: "Awww, how cute. It's so TINY." Well, yes, it is. When I have a larger garden, then this little set-up will quickly become outdated. For now, though, it's just about right. My only worry is that the cats will decide to play hopscotch with the cord...

The kit came with two germination trays, each with six growing cubes, for a total of twelve cubes. Conveniently enough, I had twelve types of seeds that I wanted to try sprouting. Each type got its own cube:
  • Melon, Minnesota Midget
  • Eggplant, Ping Tung
  • Fish Pepper (hot)
  • Sweet Pepper, Red Marconi
  • Summer Squash, Early Golden Summer Crookneck
  • Zucchini, Black Beauty
  • Basil
  • Lavender
  • Thyme
  • Dill
  • Catnip
  • Oregano
My scribbly sowing notes:


For the herbs, I just liberally sprinkled the seeds and gently covered them with a layer of soft soil. For the more substantial seeds, such as peppers and squash, I counted out about six seeds per cube. I can always thin things out later if I have good luck with sprouting. Now I just get to sit back and wait for something...anything...to happen.

As for my outdoor seeds that I planted last weekend, I'm still waiting to see signs of life there. It has been a pretty cold, dreary week - not much warmth and not much sun. I don't blame the seedlings for not wanting to poke through yet.

One sign of life I DID spot this week, however, was a sneaky little Peter Rabbit, hiding slyly in the neighbors bushes. Doesn't he just look so smug, biding his time and eyeing my tender little greens-to-be?


I really had to amp up the zoom on my camera to catch him - he blends in so well with the bark and soil. He's smart to stay hidden - I've noticed several neighborhood cats prowling around. Hopefully feline, hare, and veggie can co-exist peacefully in the years to come!

No comments: