Monday, July 5, 2010

Summer Berries

This past Friday my mom and I went to Stokes Berry Farm to pick raspberries together. It was an absolutely gorgeous morning, not too hot, a nice breeze blowing. We picked black raspberries, red raspberries, and blackberries - a new crop for Stokes this year. Ambrosia!


Since we were so close, we decided to hop over to Iron's Fruit Farm to get some fresh blueberries and apples. I've had my mind set on making a batch of Blueberry Lime Jam this summer, and I figured this would be the perfect opportunity. When we arrived, they had just received quite a few pints of freshly picked blueberries from their fields out back. It doesn't get much more "field to plate" than that.


When I got home later that day, I did up a batch of the jam, and it's absolutely delicious - tart, tangy, and sweet, it would be great for toast, pancakes, and even ice cream.


It was great to be able to share a day with my mom picking berries - it brought back a lot of memories from when we were kids and she would take us on day trips. More parents should do these sorts of things with their kids, it's something that they will carry with them forever. Thanks Mom!

1 comment:

Snaggs said...

those raspberries look delish!