Tuesday, July 20, 2010

"Sweet Jesus..."

...those are the words that came out of my mouth right after I bit into a slice of this bad boy...


I know one of my recent posts claimed the "biggest tomato I've ever grown" title, but I have to say, THIS is the biggest tomato I've ever grown - Aunt Ruby's German Green. It was big as my hand and weighed at least a couple of pounds.


I can also quite honestly say it's the BEST tomato I've ever tasted - now that's really saying something - this girl has had a lot of tomatoes in her 28 years. The flavor was just fantastic - citrus, tartness, just the right amount of sweet, and a subtle little something "else" that I can't put my finger on. Some people describe it as "spice" but I wouldn't say it's spice in the traditional sense. God, I'm drooling just remembering it...

I will DEFINITELY be growing this variety again.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Eaton said...

One of my favorites, too! This year I discovered Aunt Ruby's German Cherry, which is now my new favorite cherry tomato (replacing last year's Black Cherry). They're one of the hardest cherry tomatoes to pick because of their green ripeness, but it is well worth the extra effort!