Thursday, June 5, 2008

Say Hello to my Little Friend

I was out playing mother hen in the garden this afternoon and look who I found:


Looks like I'm not the only one with aphids on the brain - this little ladybug must be having a field day feasting on my smorgasbord of aphids. I've seen one or two before, but this little guy is the first one I've been fast enough to catch on camera. It's amazing how nature has a way of taking its course, regardless of the roadblocks humans try to put up. My balcony is fairly high off of the ground - maybe the scent of aphids was wafting in the air one breezy day and that's what drew the ladybug near? I'm still fighting the aphid battle, even though they are not as bad as they were earlier. I'll take all the help I can get!

On another note, Ladies and Gentleman, I present to you the first tomato of the season:


This warm muggy weather lately has really caused the tomatoes to start fruiting. I now have a few of the "clusters" that are characteristic of Sweet 100 plants. I'm so excited!

Also, today I picked the first batch of peas. It was only 6 or 7 pods worth, but that's a tasty sweet snack after a long day sitting in front of a computer - quite a contrast in worlds. Sweet peas from the garden can't even compare to those frozen green pebbles you buy in the store. I remember eating so many raw peas a kid that I'd get sick - maybe it's a good thing we don't have a whole mess of peas to eat this year. It's hard to stop when they're so good.

One of my favorite noises is that muted "pop" each pod makes when you split it:


I was telling a friend about my green ambitions this year. He joked, saying I was "going Walden". With the way this world goes sometimes, I'm not sure that's all too bad of an idea.

No comments: