Thursday, June 19, 2008

What's Up, Doc?

Right on the heels of the beets last weekend, today I pulled a batch of carrots!

These guys have by far been the sneakiest vegs in the garden. For weeks I had left them alone because I didn't see any round root tops poking through the dirt - I just figured they still needed time to mature. All along I have restrained myself from impatiently poking around in the dirt too much - a habit that I'm told I've inherited from my grandfather. My grandma said that every spring he would be out in the dirt poking around to see if the peas were sprouting.

When I first planted the seeds this spring I did way too much poking around, so I've tried to hold myself back lately. But today after work for some reason I decided to give things a quick look-see just for the hell of it. Good think I did - those sneaky little carrots were just nestled down farther than I thought! I poked through a small bit of dirt and struck orange gold! I felt like Bugs Bunny walking through the apartment with a bunch of carrots in my hand - tops and all. I'm amazed by how TALL the greens are - probably about 10 times the actual length of the carrot itself!

In the interest of wanting to taste the carrot, the whole carrot, and nothing but the carrot, I just snipped off the ends and ate them raw as a snack. They still had that characteristic almost bitter celery-ish taste, but there was this prevailing sweetness as well. By far the best carrots I've ever tasted, and so cute too!

(my favorite is the fat squatty one at the bottom)

I've also been playing hide-and-go-seek with another veg the past few days...I see you hiding in there Mr. Eggplant!


I'm so pleased that everything has actually produced this year. I thought for sure I'd get stung on something, being such a novice with most of this stuff. Tomatoes, herbs, peppers, no problem. But eggplant? I counted about 8 or 9 other buds on the plant as well. Sounds like I'm going to need a few more recipes than I thought...

The new job this week has been going as good as can be expected - it's a new job, I'm the new kid on the block, I stick out like a sore thumb. Other than my own self-consciousness, I feel pretty good about it. It's different than my old job, for better and for worse. I think all things considered that it was a good decision to move.

I'm ashamed to admit that I miss my old job though - or maybe I just miss the comfort of it. I am a creature of habit; I'm terrified of change. At least I'm not having panic attacks and stuck in my bed every day. The worst case scenario has not happened, so that is proof to me that I CAN do this.

I just need to remember to take care of myself, to admit that I'm human and things will not always go perfectly and THAT'S OK - living in the moment rather than worrying and "awful-izing" about future events that haven't happened and probably won't ever happen.

It all boils down to the word "Om" in yoga:

I

AM

No comments: