Saturday, May 9, 2009

From Basement to Sunshine...

This strawberry blossom is for you Grandpa...


The garden is further evolving, even if its in pieces. This year will be different from the past years on the balcony because all of the containers won't be localized within 15 feet of each other. I'm figuring out that there are probably going to be several "clusters" of plants at various spots in the yard.

This past week I transplanted my five Pink Brandywine tomatoes and five of my Fish Peppers to the plastic yogurt cups I've been saving. My husband drilled holes in the bottoms for me so they could get decent drainage.


I love the green and white variegation of the Fish Pepper's leaves:


Removing these babies from the grow tray has freed up more room for the remaining tomatoes, Red Marconi Peppers, and eggplants. I have to say though, most of the plants in that tray are just a week or two away from making the leap outside. I might be putting several extra plants up for adoption in the near future, as well. Mom and Dad sowed several veggies at my grandma's farm today. Mother's Day gift, anyone?

Today I reluctantly transplanted my oregano into an outdoor pot. Of all the things I sprouted this year, the oregano, along with the lavender, has been so hard to get to a sturdy, hardy point. I have two bigger plants and lots of small sprouts, and none of them want to beef it up. Keeping it inside under the lights doesn't seem to be doing much, so I decided to wean him and toughen him up outside. Maybe he just needs some actual sunlight, or maybe he likes drier feet. We'll see...he seemed pretty happy after I planted him though.


I harvested my first lettuce of the season this past week. I was attempting a tribute to one of our favorite sandwiches from perhaps our favorite restaurant in the city - Melt. Melt takes the best of vegetarian, vegan, and meat-based planets and mixes them all up into a drool-inducing off-kilter combination of sandwiches, salads, soups, and more. One of our favorite sammies is called the "Avocado Bliss" and consists of garlic avocado spread, tomato, onion, lettuce, smoked mozzarella, and baked tofu squeezed between two slices of soft rye bread. I think I pretty well nailed it - and that fresh lettuce from the garden tasted awesome.

No comments: