Monday, May 18, 2009

My Babies are Growing Up...

Here's what "Ground Zero" looks like currently - lettuce, arugula, radish, carrot, kohlrabi, beets, zucchini, yellow squash, and peppers - quite the little garden:


I have been doing a lot of "up-sizing" the past week. Seedlings have been moved from small grow cells to larger containers. The fish peppers were finally big enough to make the leap to the great outdoors. I planted three plants in one of the large containers I purchased - their leaves are a beautiful dappled green and white. I'm curious to see how hot the peppers really are:


My tomatoes are really taking off. The Pink Brandywine is going to be a big boy, I can tell already. I'll have to be extra careful about staking him. I donated one of each tomato variety to my Aunt this weekend, along with some peppers and eggplant. I know she'll give them a good home.


I've been setting all seedlings out the past week when it's sunny in an effort to harden them off. I think they're about ready. We're expecting some 30-40F nights the next couple of days, so I think I'll hold off on the transplanting until the chill has passed over.

The past week or so I've been grazing from the herb garden: dill and onion focaccia, hippie hash with thyme, rosemary roasted fingerling potatoes...YUM. I have all of the pots sitting right outside our side door, so any time I feel the urge, I can pop out of the kitchen and snip-snip some savories. I'm actually quite liking it - maybe I'll keep the herbs on the side of the house even when we finally get the raised bed up and growing.


My Orange Hawaii marigolds have developed their first buds - I see some orange in the near future!


I'll leave you with this - possibly the only zucchini to ever blossom mid-May in the state of Ohio...you think I was a bit premature on this one?!

No comments: