Sunday, February 21, 2010

More Planting

Yesterday I planted my second round of seeds for the garden...

...tomatoes...


...and herbs!


I planted 3-each of these heirloom tomatoes (all new for me this year):
  • Riesentraube
  • Aunt Ruby's German Green
  • Sungold Select II
  • Carbon
  • Mule Team
I also planted most of my herbs for the year:
  • Basil, Genovese
  • Oregano, Vulgare
  • Thyme, Common
  • Catnip
  • Bee Balm, Lemon
  • Lavender (going to see if I can actually get this to sprout this year)
My eggplant and pepper seeds from last weekend aren't up yet, but that's to be expected. Last year it took them longer than I would have imagined for them to sprout. I have the tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant sitting near one of our radiators, just to give them a little extra love and warmth. Once I start to see sprouting I'll move them into the basement under the grow light.

I'm patiently waiting for all of this snow on the ground to hurry-up-and-melt-already so that I can set up my raised beds. I need to get them placed and filled with soil sometime between March 1-15 so that I can get my cold weather veggies sowed directly into the soil - radish, beet, lettuce, onion, carrot, arugula, dill.

Here's to hoping for +32F degree weather for the next few weeks!

No comments: